Sunday, September 12, 2010

Bread!




What else to do on a rainy sunday other than clean the house and bake some bread. This is the first bread in the new house. This oven has proved to be reliable, consistent and pretty even.

I used the NY Times' no-knead bread recipe. It's the one I use almost all the time. Like the ease and basic taste and it's a good recipe for fiddling with - adding flavors like cheese, olives, herbs. It's fairly idiot-proof and allows for a lot of experimentation.

I undercooked the bread - next time I would drop the temperature at the hour and fifteen minute mark [the point at which I extracted this loaf] from 450f to 375f and let it finish off for about twenty minutes. Or even turn off the oven, because it's so well insulated that it keeps its temperature for a while after turning it off.

The cooked-enough part was great! Chewy rough crust - ripped my upper palate a bit, slightly sour and a big moist resilient crumb. Had slices with butter, and a variety of cheeses - 2 year old canadian cheddar, applewood smoked cheddar, and Dubliner. A nice cider - Westons - washed it all down.