Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Sausage soup with chanterelle mushrooms and peas

As you by now have guessed, one of my favorite things is soup for lunch. I find it can be incredibly nutritious, full of energy for the day ahead, digestible enough to avoid gas and discomfort, and light enough so that I don't get the 2pm sleepies.

One of my favorite food tricks is buying meat in bulk at costco then portioning and freezing it for future or last-minute use. I get their excellent mild italian or honey & garlic sausages, then freeze them, three to a bag. Even if I haven't had the time or foresight to thaw them, I can pull them out of the freezer, boil them down in an inch or so of water and let them brown slightly. Add rice or noodles, a quick veg like frozen peas or rough-cut carrots cooked in chicken stock and brown sugar, or a salad, and bob's your uncle - quick and nutritious meal.



Last night's quick meal became today's soup. I added chicken stock to the leftover sausages, as well as the chanterelles I'd sauteed in butter. Heated everything, then turned off the burner. To the bowl of soup I added in some frozen peas and let it sit for five minutes while they thawed.

Hey presto a quick and delicious soup full of protein and energy.