Thursday, September 23, 2010

Rainy Day Fish Soup-Stew (Stoup) with baby eggplants


Baby eggplants are so cute! I added them to my fish (tilapia), chicken stock, and leftover roast veggies, along with a couple ounces of ginger tea, some lemon ponzu, salt and pepper, and a sprinkling of herbes de province. I  put it all in the slow cooker for a few hours (maybe four or five).

It's good food for our first wintery day of the fall - it's been dark and rainy all day, chilly for the first time, and most of our family have colds. I'm having some medicinal tequila and ginger tea - if you've gotta be sick, might as well make it fun!
This soup will give us a blast of easily-digestible protein, along with vitamin C from the veggies, and of course the scientifically-proven antibiotic benefits of chicken stock. I used a bag of stock from my freezer, and a frozen filet.

It looks good and tastes great. I'm just cooking some spatzle for those who want to add noodles to their soup.

[update] It's good - the eggplants seem to add umami to the broth. One of my kids had a friend over for supper. They all ate tons and some even came back for seconds - pretty good for a fish & vegetables dish; most people wouldn't be able to make it likeable for kids without resorting to decoration or fatification (adding whipped cream, cheese shapes etc).

Kids like healthy food and don't need to be bribed with cheese-stuffed crusts or cutesy cutouts on top of their food. They like a variety of flavours and are happy and proud to know what they eat and that they eat well.

starting out: frozen stock and fish