Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Vegomania and crispy noodles

One of my favourite things is crispy noodles. It's hard to make them at home, if you don't have one of those crazy-hot wok rings they use in restaurants. But having the wrong equipment never stopped me before...

This was pretty easy to make and the family loved it. I fried cooked noodles on the highest temperature on my stove, which is electric but gets hotter than the gas stove we had a few years back. (Shh, don't tell the cooking snobs that I prefer electric over gas.) I used peanut oil, as it has a fairly high smoke point, although I think we passed it. Added soy sauce, so the sugars burnt a bit and added even more flavour.

The cauliflower and eggplant dish was super easy. I make this one a lot. It was inspired by the delicious Najib’s Special cauliflower dish at Nuba, which was the dish that made me appreciate cauliflower. My recipe is different than Najib's; in fact the only thing in common is probably the cauliflower, but hey, it's good. I just heat some masala in ghee and toss in the cauliflower (and in this case, eggplant). Cook down and stir to coat. Voila.


The peppers, onions and mushrooms were just quickly pan-fried in very hot peanut oil.

Another quick and satisfying evening meal with leftovers for lunch.