Friday, February 4, 2011

Chinese Pancake Spanakopita

I got creative with dinner the other day, and made a sort of Spanakopita, using chinese pancake, cheese, mushrooms and spinach.

I buy chinese pancake at the local grocery – the photo shows the brand I buy. They’re super useful as a pantry item; keep them frozen until you cook them. I usually broil them, flipping once. They are done in five to ten minutes. The kids eat them as after-school snacks, with soup or gyoza, or just on their own.

I thought they might be good for pre-taekwondo dinner Рwe need a lighter, easily digestible, nutritionally rich meal. I cleaned and stemmed a bunch of fresh spinach, while boiling the water for steaming it. While the spinach was steaming, I broiled the pancakes until they were almost done. Meanwhile, I chopped and saut̩ed oyster mushrooms.

When the mushrooms, pancakes and spinach were ready, I assembled everything by folding the pancakes in half and inserting mushrooms, spinach, and a bit of cooked bacon for the carnivores, topped by a couple small slices of provolone.

I baked it on 400f for about ten minutes, let them cool for a couple, then feasted. Very delicious.

They were quite successful with the kids. Because mushrooms have so much umami, the meal was quite satisfying.

Each held a lot of spinach, so they were full of nutritional value, and each meal was easily customizable to vegetarian or omnivorous diets.

I will definitely make this meal again; better yet, the kids’ll make it while I’m at the spa ;)