Monday, August 16, 2010

Guiding indicators in the kitchen

I am organising my cabinets. I moved about two weeks ago. In the kitchen, I am in the process of refining storage. The kitchen needs to be accessible to cooks varying in stature between 176 cm and 152 cm (5'9"-5'), and in age between 9-and-a-half to over forty. (I'm almost seven in dog years!)

The kids in this family seem to be more visually oriented. If I tell them a thing, they forget, but if I show them a thing and explain its logic, they usually remember.

Even better, I ask them for input. Questions such as, if you were making breakfast, where would you expect to find this ingredient or this utensil?

I do the obvious safety things like put lighter things up higher and heavier lower.

I group canisters by color & shape - white sugars are in square, green-lidded; brown sugars in round, white-lidded canisters. Abandoning fancy labeling systems, I depend on black sharpie and have the kids write the contents on the lids. That way they get input and I get a sweet reminder of them every time I pull the canister out.