Tuesday, January 18, 2011

My fabulous lunch - Tom Yum Goong (a la Lucinda)


I went for a spectacular run today – suddenly I’m running faster than I ever have for more than a block at a time.

Then I had an appointment and realised far too late I’d forgotten to eat breakfast. I was hungry.

On the way home I imagined what I would have for lunch. I need to be careful what I eat on an empty stomach, so I prefer light and easy to digest. Because my food is my health, and what I eat first sets the tone for the rest of the day, I like to keep it healthful and energizing.

I especially wanted to pay tribute to my body today for taking me on that fast joyous run, even after a strong taekwondo workout last night. 

I decided I was in the mood for thai soup. I love its light, bright flavours and spice that bites at the corner of my mouth and top of my throat. I feel so alive after eating Tom yum goong, if only because I survived the heat!

Not having the exact ingredients on hand, and forgetting that I have shrimp in the freezer, I improvised. I heated chicken stock that I keep on hand (I make my own, but Pacific Foods Organic Chicken Broth is excellent), and added the juice of a lemon, some rice vinegar, a teaspoon of Sambal Oelek (chili paste), a splash of Mizkan (citrus seasoned vinegar), two cloves of garlic, a cup of ginger tea, some cilantro, and half a carrot, julienned.

I let that cook for ten minutes and decided it needed more oomph (a technical cooking term) and more sweetness, so I threw in a bit of salt and added a quarter of an apple, diced.

The soup simmered for half an hour, then I turned the heat off and removed the cilantro (it was looking sad). I added some julienned red, orange and yellow bell peppers, and one green onion.

Man was that good! The sweet, spice and sour mix was perfect. I feel revitalized and full. Yum.