Saturday, October 9, 2010

Pizza night

Friday night is pizza night at our house. Last night's was chicken, artichoke hearts, olives, onions, mushrooms, and bocconcini, with mozzarella over top.

I don't use pizza sauce or tomato paste, opting instead for one of my more recently acquired staples; bottled organic tomatoes, crushed and strained. They are cheap like borscht, last a while in the pantry and delicious. I often make soup with just them, stock and a little bit of seasoning. On pizza, I just pour some of the tomatoes and add salt & pepper, and maybe some fresh or dried basil. Easy.

My daughter stopped using bocconcini on her pizzas, complaining that the little pearls didn't melt. I was surprised, thinking they were just little mozza balls, but boy was she right. They didn't melt or add much flavour. Clearly they are not interchangeable with mozzarella, which melts easily and deliciously. Love them in a salad - wouldn't use them on pizza again.

The crust was great. As usual I used Bittman's basic pizza crust recipe, but for the first time I used the crunchier variation - substituting cornmeal for some of the flour. Delicious. And it rose better. I've stolen a friend's idea of putting the dough in the oven during its rise (raise?) and leaving the oven light to generate a touch of heat. Because my oven is so well insulated, that lightbulb makes a difference and the dough seemed happy. It was big warm and fluffy when we got back from taekwondo. It cooked up really well. Our oven only goes as high as 500f, but I got fully-cooked, crunchy thin crust. Yum.