Thursday, October 28, 2010

Faux trifle

When I take a break from writing sometimes I want a snack that’s both nourishing and a treat. I want fast, satisfying and fresh, so I make a faux trifle.

I made muffins on Monday. Today being Friday, they are viable but getting dry. They were nothing special to start with – from a nice enough moist organic banana muffin mix, but you’d never confuse them with homemade. Without their moistness, they are nothing.

Today I ground one up into coarse crumbs in a small bowl. I added vanilla yogurt and almost dessert tofu then stirred it up to a bready-custardy mix.

I could have drizzled it with a fruit syrup or honey or chocolate milk syrup. Or topped it with fresh fruit or frozen berries. I’ve blended it before, making a kind of smoothie.

It’s totally customizable to the moment’s whim and pantry and is always delicious, and a pretty healthy snack.

Sure there’s sugar, but you just build that into your daily diet plan. I believe that if you feel indulgent when you snack, you will feel satisfied and not crave snacks as often. The sugars and carbs give you quick energy.

Tofu and yogurt are high in fat and protein. Protein gives us long-term energy, and along with fat, contributes to a mental and physical feeling of fullness that makes us want to stop eating.

We continue to eat until we feel satisfied; one way to eat less is to take in foods that satisfy us.