Saturday, July 24, 2010

On Food and Eating

I read recently that the new diet is no diet; it’s the astonishing concept of eating well and not counting calories. Who knew?

Well I knew. I’m sick and tired of people refusing to be responsible to their body – to their own selves – and ingesting all sorts of medication, processed food, and poisons (alcohol, for example), then wondering why they are fat or feel crappy. To fight the lethargy caused by sleep deprivation and poor eating habits, we develop caffeine addictions, and chug Red Bull.

As a society we are addicted to fat, caffeine and sugar. We brag that we can do nothing without coffee; we brag about overeating on the holidays. We spend millions on gym memberships and diet aids.

You already know how to eat well. Your body, which is wiser than any brain, knows and will tell you if you listen. It may take a while to reset, to drop the habit of feeding yourself crap, but once you truly start listening, your body will guide you when to eat, what to eat, and how much to eat.

I used to eat secretly, binge with guilt, and hide my shamefully fat thighs in baggy pants. Now I eat what I want, when I want. I never overeat, I no longer diet, and I am not shamed by my body. I drink lots of water, my main beverage.

When I am about to eat, I look at the food I am choosing and imagine how it will feel in my body, as I eat it, as I digest it, and after. Will it bring me energy and vitality, will it nourish and enrich me? Or will it be hard to digest, sitting like cement in my belly? I notice hard-to-digest meals, like fast food, makes me lethargic and dopey. When I eat fresh ripe foods that are close to their natural state (ie not overly-processed), I am energized, athletic and healthy. It’s simple.

Yes Mum, you were right. Eat well, drink plenty of water, and get lots of fresh air and exercise. Take less than you think you want – you can always have seconds. Wash your hands, stay home when you’re sick, and be nice to those around you. Get plenty of rest and have close friends.

Life’s so simple, and if we stop distracting ourselves with nonsense like diets, plastic surgery and dis-health (don’t even get me started on how many ailments could be cured by drinking more water) – if we instead focus our energies on our power, our strengths and our ability to live in joy, well then we’d live as our natures intend. And we’d live long healthy happy lives full of love and joy.